Thursday, July 19, 2007



In the very near future Barry Bonds will break Henry Aaron's home run record. I don't like it. But just like my receding hairline or car payment, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

I will pay attention, though, when Bonds and the Giants play the Brewers in Milwaukee this weekend. I'll be curious to see if Commissioner Bud Selig snubs Bonds in Bud's hometown. I'm sure Bud dislikes the situation more than almost anyone - save, perhaps, his friend Henry Aaron - but unlike anyone else, Selig had years to do something about it and did not

In a way I hope Bonds breaks the record in Brew City, but I doubt the Giants brass will allow that to happen. Like Barry, they want him to hit it in San Francisco.

But imagine for a moment if he did break it in Milwaukee, where Aaron became a legend. At the moment of his greatest triumph Bonds would have to answer to Aaron's hometown fans. And if not there, then Atlanta, where the Giants play next, Aaron's other hometown.

Ultimately, no matter how many homers Bonds hits, he cannot diminish Henry Aaron's achievements. And this will be no truer than in the Cream City because Aaron is the heart of Milwaukee baseball. You can rattle off all the great names - Matthews, Spahn, Fingers, Yount, Molitor - but none of them outshine Aaron, the best player on the only team to win the World Series for Milwaukee.

That's a joy that Bonds – in San Francisco or anywhere – seems destined to never enjoy.

No comments: