Sunday, June 24, 2007

The people in your neighborhood II

The heat finally wavered as the sun went down, so I headed out for a walk through Cheesman Park before it got too dark.

No sooner had I entered the park and started down its tree lined paths than a bum shouted at me from a bench. I had my headphones on and kept walking, but something caught my eye. His face was bloodied and his hands were drenched in blood. I do not know how this happened.

I stopped and pulled my earplugs out and he asked for a cell phone. His hands were drenched in blood. I told him I did not have one. (I lied.)

Within shouting distance you could hear children shrieking on the playground and beyond them the laughter from folks wrapping up their weekend picnics.

"Could you use a few bucks?" I asked. He laughed, as he should have. Then he nodded his head. Yes, he could use a few bucks. I gave him whatever I had in my wallet, which wasn't much, and continued on my way.

A moment later the sirens of a fire truck interrupted my music and I turned back. The City of Denver came out in full force. I watched as they patched him up. He was joking with the EMTs as they led him to the ambulance.

No comments: